When a Mother has a Son....

At some point in the life of a mom with sons, she thinks and frets about the woman her son will love. It can be a little daunting to think that someday you will have to welcome a female into your family that may or may not like you; may or may not share the values you sought to instill in your offspring; and since they are your precious sons, they may not even love and treat your sons the way you think they should and you really have no choice in the matter. Horror stories abound about the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law relationship, right? My mother-in-law had never met me before my Cowboy told her he was choosing me as his life partner. As a mother now, I can appreciate the fear and anxiety that must have caused her. I can also appreciate that she never made me feel like I wasn't good enough for her son and I was welcomed into the family as if I was chosen by them.

My sons have made their choices. I had no say in the matter, but I can say I couldn't have chosen better mates for them myself! They are the daughters of my heart.

The daughters of my heart are beautiful - from the inside out. I love them for that.

The daughters of my heart love my sons unconditionally, despite their faults. Having raised them, I know what a challenge that can be at times! I love them for that.

The daughters of my heart have given me two beautiful, smart, happy grandchildren. I love them for that.

The daughters of my heart have unconditionally allowed the Cowboy and I to spend a lot of time with our grandsons. Even as babies. we have been allowed to have them all to ourselves for extended periods of time. Because of this, we have a relationship with our two grandsons that is enviable to many and absolutely cherished by us. They could have easily and rightfully held the motherhood reins tighter, but they chose to share, and as a result, those two precious boys have enriched our lives in ways we never imagined. I love them for that.

The daughters of my heart have welcomed me into their homes and hearts, and if they have any reservations about me as their mother-in-love, they have hid it well. I love them for that.

The daughters of my heart are wonderful mates to my sons and exceptional mothers to my grandchildren. I love them for that.

So, on this Mother's Day, I think of the two most important mothers in my life right now. Thank you for who you are and who you love. I may not have birthed you, but you are truly my daughters.


Happy Mother's Day, daughters.

Pin It!

1 comment:

I love to hear what you think!